Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 12 - Dizzy spell


I have just returned from a bike ride to the grocery store, it seemed like a good day for a ride when I woke up. I'd had a really bad night with Jack (up 4 times for one thing or another), it was really hot in the house and still is, so I thought I'd get the ride over with early, as I wanted to pick up the ingredients for Veggie Burgers. It's 102 degrees outside, no breeze, no clouds. Maybe I should have thought about it, planned a little better, or at the very least eaten some breakfast!

A pic I took prior to today- for mini cart illustrative purposes.
I thought I'd drank enough water, but I clearly wasn't thinking straight and completely spaced having some breakfast, which often happens if I feed Jack earlier than I would want to eat. When I got to the store I was fine, but Jack insisted on pushing one of the tiny carts they have and being in a typical toddler mood, he was rushing here and there, lagging behind and poking things, attempting to mow down fellow shoppers. The problem with the tiny carts, is once your child has discovered them they are not likely to make it past the cart corral without a screaming fit, unless you give in and let them grab one. I knew I wanted him to ride in a cart today, but thought I would let him push one as he's generally really good about it. We made it around half the store, when I spun around to catch him and immediately the room started spinning. I headed to the cold section of the store, grabbed a pre-made vegan sandwich, some coconut water and some bananas and then headed outside to sit and rest, have a snack and hopefully regain my sense of balance. I use the word "rest" in it's lightest sense, because there simply isn't much rest when your two year old is full of zest for life, two year old's and relaxation only go together in child proofed areas, which a parking lot certainly isn't.

Anyway, I sat there for a while on a bench by the front door to the store, contemplated calling Kyle for rescue, but decided I'd just take my time and cruise home, which is mostly downhill from the store. When the guy at the check-out asked me if I was walking he looked worried, when I replied that I was on my bike he looked at all my groceries and looked REALLY worried. Of course the Mundo handled the groceries with complete ease and was nicely balanced, which was obviously more necessary than usual. I must be a glutton for punishment, because it never occurred to me to not buy the 10lb bag of spuds or the mammoth bag of bulk popping corn. When I made it home and unpacked I had to chuckle, even my purse must weigh 10lbs with all the papers, notes, camera, snacks, diapers etc. Really the Mundo is an amazing bike when you consider that it holds me, my child and a weeks worth of groceries and diapers- with ease, without any fuss and honestly I generally don't even give it a second thought any more, it's just my bike.



As I write this Jack has decided a nap is not going to happen (oh glee!), which really is a wonder considering we were up half the night, so Curious George is playing for the billionth time and I'm going to rest and maybe write up a little pre-ride check list for my next adventure.

10 comments:

  1. I remember those mini shopping cart days; it does get better as you can solicit assistance. Ike (5) now pushes the big basket. You are definitely selling me on cargo bikes, though I am loving my hybrid and Ike can ride his own bike to the store.
    Careful in the heat...we are a little cooler on the Olympic Peninsula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those mini shopping cart days; it does get better as you can solicit assistance. Ike (5) now pushes the big basket. You are definitely selling me on cargo bikes, though I am loving my hybrid and Ike can ride his own bike to the store.
    Careful in the heat...we are a little cooler on the Olympic Peninsula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those mini shopping cart days; it does get better as you can solicit assistance. Ike (5) now pushes the big basket. You are definitely selling me on cargo bikes, though I am loving my hybrid and Ike can ride his own bike to the store.
    Careful in the heat...we are a little cooler on the Olympic Peninsula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, can't wait for the big cart pushing days, he already tries but it's not very safe for other patrons when the "driver" can't see where he's going lol.

      Delete
  4. Lindsay,

    Definitely eat, at least, a banana before you venture out on a ride like that.

    Though, the "experts" tell me it's a bad thing for a bike-rider [I'm trying to cut back on my common use of the word "cyclist"], if it's a morning ride, I also enjoy a freshly brewed cup of coffee.

    VELOve,
    Cullen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally should never drink coffee, I get a racing heart from more than one cup- a vice I must give up!

      Delete
  5. Coffee is a bad thing for a cyclist?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your blog Lindsay... you are definitely an inspiration to us all...

    Be safe and be Green!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments, if you would like to be updated with replies to the thread click "subscribe by email" on the bottom right hand side of the comment box.
Thanks!