Monday, July 9, 2012

Days 6, 7 & 8- Chocolate or Cheddar?

I continue to anxiously await the arrival of the Boda Boda. In fact my mind continually wanders back to it and ideas of projects and accessories keep bombarding me.  It reminds me of my days of pre-Mundo wait time, the anticipation is driving me crazy! I have finally decided on which model I want, and this may come as a surprise, but I have decided on the larger green step-over model, rather than the smaller step-through design. The reasons behind this choice are, I would prefer to not feel cramped in my seating position and as I'm right in the middle of the size recommendations for either bike, I think I'd prefer more room, than less. Also, the larger model will be easier to share with Kyle, who will no doubt want to ride with Jack at some point and it's easier to change bikes than move the Peanut Shell. I've been told that my mounting/dismounting issues with the Mundo will be resolved with either bike, and honestly that will be a big relief to my mind. 

The bike in the forefront is my choice- isn't it beautiful?
I've found ways to get lots of exercise lately, but have missed cycling, for some reason walking has been calling me more often...I think maybe because Jack has been joining me in walking and it wears him out so much that I get to enjoy the benefits longer, we've also been walking with friends who are bike-less for now. I walk with Jack until he can't manage another step, put him in the stroller and then he will take a rest or fall asleep- perfect! For a two year old he can walk an amazingly long way too, at least a few miles before he starts to dilly dally and lag behind. The evenings have been our prime walking time as the days are so hot it would be practically unbearable, I love walking after the heat of the day has subsided, taking runs through any sprinkler we can find.

There have been a few small "complications" with the dietary challenge- yesterday whilst shopping at the Grocery Outlet, I saw three varieties of cheese from the homeland, anyone that knows me has heard me rant and rave about my love for British Cheese, you just can't find it here unless you are willing to spend more than we can afford on a regular basis, so when I see it for a deal I generally buy it! But, alas I stuck to my challenge and left the glorious aged cheddar on the shelf and pined after it for some time. Later in the day, with the heat in the triple digits and a heat storm rolling in with lightening streaking across the sky, a moment of weakness found me wanting to indulge in an ice cream. I mentioned it in passing to Kyle, who immediately agreed that it was the best idea I'd had in eons. Before I knew it we'd loaded in the car and driven to a fast food restaurant where I gave in to a over-sized chocolatey concoction that I shared with Jack. I would have thoroughly enjoyed it too, but I felt immensely guilty and to be honest regret, that if I was going to cheat on my challenge- then I could of at least done it with that lovely cheddar!

Other than that moment of indiscretion mentioned above, I have been eating really healthy; lots of vegetables and fruit, whole grains and legumes. Local cherries are in season and my neighbors have been passing out lovely broccoli florets from their massive garden, I've been enjoying watching our tomatoes grow and harvested our pea crop just yesterday. The dietary changes have honestly been far easier than I'd imagined, I enjoy the food and find it very filling. I like not worrying too much about portion sizes, which is a huge benefit of not eating sugar, fat and refined grains.

On one of our walks Jack found these funky sunglasses, I'm hoping they will be a pair that he will actually wear on the bike and not toss off in the road. As you can see, he is thriving on all these veggies and fruits, I think we're all feeling healthier for it!




6 comments:

  1. Anything done in succession for 21 times becomes a habit. Eating healthy is great. Keep up the good work. It will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lindsay,

    I, too, am an avid cyclist who has been walking a lot, lately.

    Though, because I'm disabled and rely on a walker for balance, my walks are VERY slow.

    Still, it's given me a chance to reevaluate the benefits of being speedy and quick. Slowness gives you a chance to think and philosophize. Plus, your mind is also focused on your surrounding environment.

    Seeing as you too are a cyclist, you might get something from this page:
    http://www.slowbicyclemovement.org

    Regards,
    Cullen Carter
    Appleton, WI

    P.S. Out of curiosity, I'm curious how far your longest walk was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cullen- You know I love both cycling and walking, I think they both have a great place in healthy living. I wouldn't think any of our walks are more than 3 or 4 miles, just casual strolls, not speedy walking...but I have purposely not been keeping track- I find I get too caught up in numbers, I want to learn to just enjoy it despite a number that I judge to be good or bad. I'm already a member of the slow bicycle movement on Facebook- have I seen you there? I think so;)

      Thanks for following along- enjoy your walks! Cheers, Lindsay

      Delete
  3. Hi, Lindsay;
    Cheese is one of the basic food groups, is it not? No? Oh, well, sigh....
    however, a small ration of cheddar with a handful of toasted unsalted almonds and a sliced up apple is (in our minds) a very healthy snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my issue is that I could make cheese the one and only food group lol. I will most likely eat cheese again- just not for the next few weeks while I clean up intake a little;)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments, if you would like to be updated with replies to the thread click "subscribe by email" on the bottom right hand side of the comment box.
Thanks!