Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 20 of 30 days of biking - 2/3 done and the best is yet to come

There is something so rejuvenating about family bike rides. They are fun, relaxing, great family time, great couples time and on nights like tonight they are made even lovelier by warm breezes and the fragrance of spring in the air.



We set off late tonight and as you can see Jack was super excited to be going out after dark on the bike. I fitted my new kickstand today- this Yuba Stand-Alone Kickstand is a brute! Easy to install and simple to use, I'm in love with it!  I can't think of even a slightly good reason for not having gotten one months ago!



I love how solid this makes my bike, even on the gravel area of our parking strip. I took Jack's sun shade off for the dusky ride, as I thought that white PVC would show up well. I have some reflective tape I have been meaning to use on it, so maybe I can get that done soon too.


 Tonight was really a stellar ride!



I think we will be doing more of these dusk rides, it was so enjoyable, I really can't say enough how lovely it was. It made me realize summer is just around the corner and we will be enjoying every second of it with our bicycles. 




 
 It's hard to believe, but Kyle has only ridden my bike once, and that was on the test drive before we bought it. Tonight I stopped and said jump on, take it! He took it for a little ride and was immediately impressed by how "chilled" it was to ride. And also, that it was way easier to ride than he'd expected. Jack seemed to think it was fun having Dad drive him around. Overall today was very nice and tonight I'm going to go out with a girlfriend for a drink, so it's not even over yet!

13 comments:

  1. The kickstand looks like it would be stable even when jacks moving around when the bike is parked.

    Is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the kickstand is amazing- I'm pretty sure he could climb on the bike like a play structure and it wouldn't move!

      Delete
  2. Awesome strong looking kick-stand. Just an observation but, Jack doesnt have anything to protect his eyes... As the summer comes so do the airborne debris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John- yes maybe time to see if I can get him to wear shades- although last year we weren't too successful. I do have a sun cover that goes over the shade and will keep out any bugs- and I have a fly net that will cover it too- so that will work. Although I'd prefer he wear glasses- he throws them off and I wouldn't know with him behind me!

      I actually got bitten on the inside of my mouth last week by a bug when I was cycling- yuk!

      Delete
    2. Maybe a face-shield that attaches to the helmet similar to what a hockey player uses,that way it wont fall off and get lost

      Delete
    3. Would that be a problem with mom in front blocking everything? I've never ridden behind me, so I wouldn't know :P

      Delete
    4. John- that might be a good idea too! I like that.

      RETF- I have worried about bugs, because I go pretty slow lol. Think I will find my fly net today and try it out.

      Delete
  3. Awesome kickstand,my friend! I was checking those out last eve on their website,looks very stable. Good points about Jack's eye protection,something I often don't think of my own self (until a bug hits my eye,or a stick whips in while on trail,LOL!).

    Awesome pics,nice to see the whole family out riding together :)

    The Disabled Cyclist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TDC- I can't believe how much I love my kickstand! I know the V4's come with the double kickstand stock, so that's awesome.

      Delete
  4. I've wanted a Plescher kickstand since I first saw one also, mostly because my kickstand had gotten loose without me noticing. Now with a special allen wrench just for it (that size is used for no other thing on the bike, I think) it's tightened and better.

    But I wanted a double kickstand also because on my trailer, putting my roommate's child in it made the bike topple sometimes. That has also been fixed with the stroller kit I bought, which comes with a brake and is worth the money for that feature alone.

    Still, that kickstand looks awesome, because it folds as you stow it to look just like a regular kickstand. I still want one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.E.T.F.- I recommend a double kickstand wholeheartedly! I wouldn't have thought it would make such a difference, but even little things like storage are simpler with a double kickstand, as the bike takes up less space.
      That is so nice you take your roommate's kiddo out- im sure it super appreciated!

      Delete
  5. Lindsay,

    I recommend you check the tightness of the kickstand pivot bolt nuts weekly. Mine never stay tight. I don't know if Yuba has made design changes to fix this, so your kickstand could be better than mine. The back and forth motion of the kickstand raising and lowering loosens the nuts.

    With as much riding as you do, the nuts could be loose within a week.

    Take care,
    -Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ian-

      I will check it, thanks for the heads up. It seems a ton sturdier than my last one- love it so far!
      Thank you! Lindsay

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments, if you would like to be updated with replies to the thread click "subscribe by email" on the bottom right hand side of the comment box.
Thanks!