Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A boy and his bicycle

Yesterday the Boda Boda went for its first ride on British soil, I wish I could say I enjoyed the ride but I wasn't actually the rider. Instead our good friend Andy took the Boda Boda out and Kyle took the Mundo, and they headed off for a trip down the Strawberry Line.  It seems only fitting that Andy enjoyed the first Boda Boda ride as we wouldn't be here in this glorious part of England without his help. Andy was researching cargo bikes one day when he came across my blog, when I mentioned wanting to move to England he volunteered to help us find a place in his area of North Somerset. He and his wife Sarah are amazing people and have been an immense help to us since we've been here, we feel so lucky to have moved and had instant friends on arrival.



This area of the world has proved to be everything we'd hoped for, it is simply stunning, the people are friendly and welcoming, the prospects and opportunities seem abundant and overall we are intensely happy to be here. Getting settled in has been a challenge, Jack is still homesick and asks to go home everyday, but Kyle and I are sure he will love it here one he's settled in a bit. There are numerous activities and playgroups for children, we have signed up for and attended one already and Jack wasted no time in immersing himself in play with the other toddlers.

A bakery bike we have admired.



The weather has been mild and wet, the streets are narrow but drivers seem very aware of cyclists on the high street. I am a little intimidated by the thought of a new bike on new roads, especially with my precious cargo, so I find myself procrastinating my first ride. I think I will plan a solo ride on some quiet streets before I attempt a ride with Jack.

Kyle has been loving the Mundo!
We have been on the hunt for a bike for Jack since we got here, yesterday we located a wooden balance bike here in the village, picked it up for twenty pounds and made Jack the happiest 2.5 year old in the world. This morning when he got out of bed I think he'd forgotten about it, as his whole face lit up with glee when I reminded him he now owned a bike. I can't describe how good it feels to see him get something he's wanted so much, after we had to sell 99% of his toys before our move. It was heart wrenching and I felt verging on cruelty to sell all his toys, but I think the bike may have slightly made up for it. As I sit here typing, he keeps turning to me with a look of amazement on his face, proudly announcing repetitively "Mumma I got a bike!"

Jack's little "Mosquito"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments, if you would like to be updated with replies to the thread click "subscribe by email" on the bottom right hand side of the comment box.
Thanks!